What if each year of school you attended you had worked on goals that really mattered to you, instead of finishing that 500-word essay about why baking soda and vinegar create a fizz? Free homeschool programs are no different. Would you, could you now be living a life of luxury . . . the life dreams are made of? And I’m not just talking financially – I mean across the board – relationships, career, family . . . you get the idea.
Yes, all of the primary subjects are very important. Achieving most goals will be much easier if you know how to calculate, read, and write – not to mention learning from the great masters of the past – but Albert Einstein says, “Perfection of means and confusion of goals seem to characterize our age.” And I think he’s on to something.
Every year before school starts, I make a rough sketch of things I would like to teach our children and books I would like to read with them. Then I ask each child what he or she would like to accomplish and learn.
Free Homeschooling Programs and Setting Goals
The steps listed below are invaluable to achieving your goals regardless if you have your children on free homeschooling programs or not. Because if you don’t have a plan of how to reach your goals, goals become nothing more than wishes.
- Decide what it is you really want and when you want it.
- Determine what it is you will do to attain it.
- Write down the answers to number 1 and 2 on a sturdy piece of paper. This is very important because you need to look at your goals each day, morning, noon, and night. (Rolf Smith tells us that, “The problem with making mental notes is that the ink fades very rapidly.”)
- Say, “NO!” to naysayers. (Many people will try to discourage you and your children when they hear your lofty goals. Let most advice go in one ear and out the other, unless the person giving the advice happens to be very successful in that area. Then you may want to pay attention. Otherwise look at the person and say, to yourself, “How’s that working for you?”)
- Put it in God’s hands and believe you will receive your desire. If you don’t believe in it you probably won’t achieve it, no matter what it is. (Even Jesus said, “Believe that you shall receive and you shall receive.”)
- Take action. (Whatever you truly want in life should not be left to chance; you must begin achieving your goals by taking action. The founder of the Atari game, Nolan Bushnell believes, “Everyone who has ever taken a shower has had an idea. It’s the person who gets out of the shower, dries off, and does something about it that makes a difference.”)
What goals have you set for this new school year? Whether you’re on free homeschooling programs or not, you and your children will benefit by following the tips above.